Line 1 Marginal
HistoryThis was the original line of the Companhia Carril Americano do Porto á Foz e Matosinhos opened on 9 March 1872 between Alfândega and Foz. On May 15th the line was extended to Matosinhos and the official opening festivities took place. Soon after that also the part between Rua dos Ingleses (Infante) and Alfândega was opened. In 1887 the line was extended to Leça da Palmeira. For this extension an iron bridge was constructed across the river Leça.
In 1896 electric services started between Infante and Ouro (estação) and in 1897 the rest of the line to Leça was electrified. In 1898 the line was extended in Leça da Palmeira from Rua do Arnado to Castelo da Leça. Electric service between Praça and Infante started on 24 April 1998 but still as independent service from the mainline. Only in November 1898 Praça - Leça was operated as one service.
In the period 1938-1940 rerouting was done at Leixões because of the construction of the first dock. With these works also the bridge across the Leça was scrapped. Extension of the docks caused cut back of the line to Matosinhos (Mercado) in 1960.
Starting 1960 line 1 was linked at Praça da Liberdade with the lines 9 and 9/ (Praça-Ermesinde and Praça-Areosa) until the closure of these two lines in 1966: trams changed their number the stop before Praça and in fact made the complete travel Matosinhos-Ermesinde or Matosinhos-Areosa. Coming from Matosinhos in the direction of Ermesinde / Areosa the tramcars directly went from Rua Mouzinho da Silveira to Rua de Sá da Bandeira without entering Praça.
In 1968 the line was cut back to Infante and in 1993 to Castelo do Queijo. Line 1 closed 10 September 1994. It returned later between Infante and Foz as part of the heritage network.
From 1950 until 1968 there was a supplementary line 1E: Praça da Liberdade - Infante - Alfândega - Massarelos.
Rolling stockAs this was one of the first electrified lines it had at first also the first electric tramcars. From about 1904/5 these were replaced by the 6-window Constructora cars. In 1910 the Carros Ingleses and the Brills took over. Since about 1929 the bogie cars dominated line 1. Depending the expected amount of passengers until about 1912 trams with up to three of old trailers were common on line 1. The bogie trailers were used daily from about 1912 until 1960. During the Summer period and only in the weekends until 1966 the trailers were used between Infante and Castelo do Queijo. Because of the steep slope at Praça do Infante trailers could not be used up to Praça da Liberdade. Shunting at Infante was done by gravity. About 1970-1975 the maximum number of tramcars in service was 8 with times of march out & march into Boavista depot:
RevenueIn 1958 line 1 took part of 7.9% of the revenue of the tram system.
RemarkableDuring a period after the closure of Praça da Liberdade - Infante (1968), there existed a peak hour service which still used this route. The tram (usually a bogie tram) came from Boavista via Carvalhosa to Carmo and Praça (a bogie tram down Rua dos Clerigos, but not up!). Left Praça at 7h05, went through Infante to Matosinhos (7h40), went then back to Foz (Castelo), where it left at 8h15, and then went up Av. Boavista to Carmo via Carvalhosa (arrival at Carmo at 8h52). From there, the tram went back to the depot Boavista.